Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Shel Silverstein...My Most Favorite Bald Guy of ALL TIME!

Shel Silverstein...My Most Favorite Bald Guy of ALL TIME!

Who doesn't love Shel Silverstein?  Not only did this guy write songs sung by Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn, but he also wrote such timeless classics as The Giving Tree and A Light in the Attic (a collection of poems).  I love reading his poetry with my students, because much like the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, it's full of humor that appeals to both kids and adults.  I have a hard time keeping a straight face while reading this stuff aloud with my students, not to mention recording the totally awesome rap song sung by the one and only DELI RAPPERS we created from one of Shel Silverstein's poems, entitled "Peckin".  Seriously, I dare you to keep a straight face (if you can't tell, the kids kinda had a hard time too).


Welcome to SUPER HAPPY TIMES library, the only library that's open 24 hours a day, EXCEPT Casimir Pulaski Day (you'll get that joke if you're from Illinois).  Be prepared to be blown away by the acting skills in this performance of "Overdues" and pay close attention to the inspirational reading posters in the background.  Oh, and in case you were wondering, those totally awesome overalls and torn red shirt are curtesy of Ms. Sprengelmeyer's closet circa 1996.  























Here's two examples of what my students think a "homework machine" would look like, appropriately taken from Shel Silverstein's poem  "The Homework Machine" (in which the answers come out wrong).  Note to reader: the math problems on the right are mean't to be incorrect!





2 comments:

  1. Maybe one of these creative students will invent a homework machine that actually works and then a time machine.... It is amazing how comfortable the students are getting in front of the camera. Lily, you are doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That will be the day, when the homework machine takes over! Don't thank me, thank my awesome group of third graders!!! They amaze me all the time. Thanks Chris!

      Delete