Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Wacky Wednesday!

WACKY WEDNESDAY!
In honor of Dr. Seuss week at East Dubuque Elementary and the book Wacky Wednesday.

"On wacky Wednesday, a cheeseburger talked to me and my pants were on my head.  My brother was a train and I took a bath in syrup!"

"On wacky Wednesday, my cookies were talking to me and I saw a flying hot dog."

"On wacky Wednesday, my hamster flew away when I went to feed it, and it started snowing in the middle of summer!"

In case you can't tell, it was wacky hair day at East Dubuque Elementary School.  The entire week was dedicated to honoring one of the most popular children's book authors of all time, Theodore Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. DR. SEUSS and his book Wacky Wednesday, in which...you guessed it, lots of "wacky" stuff happens.  So what better way to celebrate, then to have kids write about what would happen for their very own version of a wacky Wednesday.  So the next time you see a flying hamster or hot dog in the sky, check to make sure you didn't wake up on Wacky Wednesday!

Here's a writing example, from one of my super creative students.  I like this one because a giant booger is attacking the city.
MORE WACKY HAIR PHOTO FUN!
ALUMINUM FOIL!

BRAIDS!

RED HEAD!

ONE FINAL NOTE ON THE IMPORTANCE OF FAILURE
Dr. Seuss received 27 rejection letters before he got his first children's book published.  I don't think we teach kids enough about the importance of failure, since often the people who succeed the most in life are those that continue in the face of rejection and turmoil.  They possess a certain determination and resilience.  So thank you Dr. Seuss for not giving up, even when others doubted you; for what a different place the world would be without your many magical books!  Remind your kids that failure is not only a part of life, but a wonderful part of life.  A part that allows for growth and the very understanding that NO ONE is perfect.   

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
         -Robert F. Kennedy


4 comments:

  1. Another amazing chapter! Lily, you have been given an incredible gift. BTW, I particularly enjoyed the endnotes regarding the importance of failure. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you also appreciate failure! I'm glad people are responding well to this, as it is something I wish I learned more about in school. Thanks for reading! We love our fans :)

      Delete
  2. This is a very good message to the class. I have lived that RFK quote a few times with great rewards. I will almost certainly take challenges in the future that will put me face to face with failure. What you learn from the journey is likely more important than the success or the failure.

    Wish some of my grade 12's would understand this concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Draco (and your really hard name to spell),

      Thank you for being our first Switzerland pen pal and for reading our class blog. The kids really loved your responses to the questions we asked you about your interesting name, your favorite things, and all things related to Swiss cows and cheese. So from One Magic Classroom, to your class in Switzerland, let's all make great failures together to grow.

      YOU ROCK....ROCK!
      from your NEW BEST friends at One Magic Classroom :)

      Delete