Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sibling Magic

Sibling Magic
Super good times with my awesome sister Laurel
What happens when two sisters, a harmonica, a banjo, and dancing students get together?  A whole lot of super happy fun times!  My sister Laurel Sprengelmeyer (a.k.a. the musician Little Scream) came to visit our classroom all the way from CANADA, for an afternoon of good old folk music and dancing.  Why is my sister so awesome?  Well, other than being a Sprengelmeyer, she's kinda like a Hallmark card; the kind that make you feel all warm and fuzzy when you open them up.  I want to surround my students with feel good people (Hallmark card people you could say), who are not only inspiring, but also encouraging.  My students totally loved her, so much so that they may have given her a visit from the HUG MONSTER!  So Laurel, if you're reading this (and I expect that you are) come back and visit real soon.  Siblings are magical.  Kids are magical.  Music is magical.

See!  I told you they were happy :)

Here's a photo of my sister and I from a long time ago.  I love old photos.  In fact, go find one now and put it on your refrigerator.  You will smile every time you go to get a cheese stick out of the fridge.


Awesome Siblings in History:  The Wright Brothers


Orville Wright

Wilbur Wright

The Wright Brothers, a.k.a. Orville and Wilbur (which sounds like a popcorn company if you ask me), are a great example of the collaborative efforts of siblings, and ultimately the magic that can result.  Born from a family of seven, the brothers made history by manning the world's first ever successful airplane (sustained flight with a pilot aboard).  The brothers simply had a common dream in mind, and continued after repeated failed attempts.  Yes, another lesson on the importance of failure!  These brothers were not backed by wealth, or a prestigious background; they were however, backed with the mutual determination of fulfilling a dream, one that was set in place from the time they were given their first ever toy "helicopter" as children.  That helicopter was loved so much, that they eventually broke it; only to rebuild it years later and truly fly.  This my friends is dreaming big.     

2 comments: