Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Fort Building 101

FORT BUILDING 101

Let's take another magical visit back in time, when the only worries you had were whether or not you had enough blankets to build a fort.  When your free time was spent dreaming, and creating fantasy forts with dinosaur books and colored sheets.  When you would have contests to see who could stay up the latest, eating sour gummy worms in your ice-cream and telling ghost stories with a flashlight.  Why does the fun have to end when you become an adult?  I'm here to tell you it doesn't, and in the spirit of winning money to build a "reading fort" for my classroom, here's a blog dedicated to my love of forts. 



Deep thoughts...where do we hang the next blanket?
Every few months or so, my students earn a party for their "class good behavior points".  Rather than just having an extra recess, I thought we would get creative and build forts in our pajamas instead.  So, give kids thirty minutes, some chairs, desks, blankets, books, and flashlights, and let the fort building begin!  I'm hoping this was the inspirational seed that inspired my kids to want a "reading fort" in the class.  I love that one dream can turn into another dream, that can lead you down a new path in life.



HAPPY FORT BUILDERS! 


Adults, take note here.  Sometimes you can be a little boring.  You might think, "hey fort making is for kids".  Well, I'm here to tell you that you're wrong.  In fact, I have a newfound appreciation for fort building.  Kids remind me to be SPONTANEOUS.  They are not building forts to get a raise from their boss, or even to earn a grade.  We are born curious observers of the world.  We are born to create, and unfortunately somewhere along the way, most often an ADULT tells you to stop thinking creatively (yeah, no dreaming aloud), and to pay attention to practical ways of life.  That's all fine and dandy if you want to work for Mr. Robot-man in an office someday (and that's okay if you do!), but if you're like us dreamers, begin your spontaneous journey today.  Take a walk in the woods, and make your own path.  You have the ability to reinvent yourself everyday.  

8 comments:

  1. "Take a walk in the woods, and make your own path." - Lily Sprengelmeyer

    Lily, those are words to live by! You are an awesome person and teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being awesome and reading our blog!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful!!! In fact I'm speechless. I could not have said it better myself. Its fantastic to see someone teaching and instilling this idea to the next generation.

    "We are born curious observers of the world. We are born to create, and unfortunately somewhere along the way, most often an ADULT tells you to stop thinking creatively (yeah, no dreaming aloud)" – PURE GOLD

    Here, here to the dreamer, shapers, shifters and creators that are in all of us... some need to dust it off and remember, nevertheless it is still there if we choose to look for it. As it is stated above:

    "Take a walk in the woods, and make your own path. You have the ability to reinvent yourself everyday." – A DIAMOND

    And where better to start than with nature herself. :-)

    ADDRESS:

    c/o Neuchatel Junior College
    Cret-Taconnet 4
    2002 Neuchâtel, Suisse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay for reals Mr. Szathmcawesome,
      When can I start paying you to make me feel good about myself?! We totally love that you read our blog and I super appreciate that you comment and enjoy my lil words of mcwisdom. Can't wait to send you mail, and more importantly bring my class of creators to Switzerland one day so we can all graze the fields together.
      Cheers my friend!

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to your mail!!! :-D

      Delete
  3. Well you'll need to have one leg shorter than the other so we can graze with the swiss cows (they stand on a slant too!) as meadows here are on quite incline :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. I work with kids a lot with my art and I often think back to my childhood adventures. We were always making forts and cabins everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! I'm glad you are a fan of fort building too. Cheers to creative people :)

      Delete