Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Sending Socks to Switzerland!

Sending Socks to Switzerland
One Magic Classroom enjoying One Magic Puppet Theater (thanks to Art Gumbo).

I love socks.  I also love chocolate from Switzerland, kitten stickers, and people from Switzerland (named DRACO!) that send us this stuff in the first place.  Since starting this most awesome blog, we have gotten lots of magical mail.  This week we got chocolate from Switzerland, German gummy bears, kitten stickers, crochet beards (I'm not joking, we really did....see photo below), and really funny postcards with sayings in French we didn't understand.  

Random is good, and so are random acts of sock kindness.  So if you've sent us mail, be expecting some handmade sock puppet love coming your way, One Magic Classroom style that is.


Crochet beards and Swiss chocolate:
Best combination gift of ALL TIME!
Did I mention crochet beards?  Yeah, my super-cala-magilistic cousin Auni made us crochet beards in honor of our blog entry "When I Grow Up".  She is a teacher as well, and her students are doing some of the projects that we have shared on our blog.  We got to see pictures of what they were doing and received some amazing letters too.  It is so inspiring to see that other kids are doing activities related to our class.  So here is to Auni (another Ms. Sprengelmeyer) and her wonderful students.  We think you're great (blog post to be continued later....insert scary music and thunderstorm noises here).


Swiss Chocolate + Crochet Beard = One Happy Sock?
Max's beard matches his sock!


One Magic Puppet Theater Performs!
Here's a video to thank Draco and Abigail (Draco's "mum" as he would call it).  I met Abigail over winter break for the first time several months ago with my sister in the woods of Canada.  Abigail loaned me a documentary on puppet making while I was staying at her house (or magic cabin castle as I like to think of it).  Based on the conversations we had, she thought I might be interested in puppet making.  Little did I know one of my students (Brody) would wish for a puppet theater just one month later, and that we would actually win money to build one!  Guess you had a sneaky suspicion One Magic Classroom was the perfect place to make puppet dreams happen.  Before I forget Abigail, you've got a book on tree houses I would like to borrow next (once I return your puppet making documentary of course).  I'm dreaming of a tree house, and lately dreams have been coming true.  Sometimes all it takes is the planting of a little seed.

Sibling Puppet Makers = Really Cute
Yeah, send that photo to grandma and grandpa!
It's a good thing when you tell your students that they are welcome to stay after school with their teacher to make puppets, and almost the entire class stays after.  In fact, the ones that didn't come said they couldn't make it.  If you would have asked me to stay after school with my teacher in elementary school, I would have said "I'll take a rain check".  If fact, the kids were all joking that they had to stay after school and do fun stuff with their teacher for detention.  I'm proud to say that we have created not only a community, but what Seth Godin would call a tribe.  We are a tribe of not just believers and dreamers, but achievers; and yes we are doing great things together.

"The secret of leadership is simple: Do what you believe in.  Paint a picture of the future.  Go there.  People will follow."
-Seth Godin, Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us


I hope we have brightened your day a little more, by adding some British accents, chocolate, crochet beards, and if nothing else a little more sock love into your life.





1 comment:

  1. Wow!! THANK YOU!!! and what a fabulous blog post. I love it all! Especially the last part about you forming a tribe... AWESOME! At this point I'm speechless. You all made a wonderful video and I know Abbey (Mum or Mama as I sometimes caller her in French) will love seeing this too! I hope to see more sock puppet theater in the future from One Magic Classroom Company or should I say Tribe :)

    ReplyDelete